PROVIDENCE, RI (AP) – People living in a homeless camp in a vacant lot in Providence had until November 1 to leave on Wednesday, but advocates say they have nowhere to go.
Municipal Public Safety Commissioner Steven M. Paré and Police Captain Henry Remolina distributed notices to people living at the site.
The notice stated that all personal effects left behind would be removed and stored for 30 days, and that city services, including garbage removal and portable toilets, would end after November 1, the city reported. Boston Globe.
The advisory also encouraged people living at the site to call the Coalition to End Homelessness for help and a shelter placement.
Paré said the city is working with service providers to find placement for people currently living on the property.
“We don’t have a specific location at the moment, but we are working with agencies that could help us place them,” he said.
The number of people on the site fluctuated from eight to thirty.
Laura Jaworski, executive director of House of Hope Community Development Corp., a homeless advocacy group, said options for people living at the site had no other options.
“The options are few, I would say zero,” Jaworski told the Providence Journal.
A spokesperson for Mayor Jorge Elorza said in an emailed statement that all people living on the ground had received crisis and housing assessments and had been placed on waiting lists for shelters and housing. , on demand. The city also recently invested $ 495,000 to expand the winter shelters.
The site, currently owned by the Providence Redevelopment Agency, will be transferred to a developer for a mixed-use project.
Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.