A Unique Evening for Musical Theater REGENERATE: Lost Songs from the Musicals is a live streamed online fundraising gala benefiting the charity Mercury Musical Developments (MMD) in partnership with Musical Theater Network (MTN), which will take place on Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 7:00 p.m. GMT (7:00 p.m.)
The titans of musical theater have taken their favorite songs from classic shows and dug through their bottom drawers, selecting and repurposing beloved melodies and lyrics to create an incredible range of unreleased songs, regenerated for one night only!
The REGENERATE Livestreamed Gala Fundraiser will be free for everyone – the public will donate while they watch via text, phone or online. Everyone who donates will be entered into a raffle to win tickets to Six in the West End or on Broadway. Proceeds from the fundraiser will be used to support new writing talent to showcase their work at BEAM 2023; removing financial barriers for creatives to share their work at the UK’s biggest showcase of new musical theatre.
The songs will be performed by a sparkling array of talent (to be announced in September.)
“We are thrilled to bring these great songs to life at REGENERATE, to benefit the next generation of musical theater writers, at the start of MMD’s 30th anniversary celebrations. The generosity of contributing writers, performers and audiences will go a long way. to ensure new talent can be properly supported at BEAM2023, where we will showcase a selection of the most exciting new musicals being created in the UK.” – Natalia Scorer, Mercury Musical Developments
“This is a shining example of acclaimed musical theater writers ‘paying up’, sharing songs that might otherwise have been lost to us, to help improve the odds that tomorrow’s groundbreaking musical theater writing talent will be discovered earlier. We are still in awe of the talent emerging through BEAM – these independent artists are so deserving of our support; they are the future of the art form in the UK.” – James HadleyMusical Theater Network
Featuring 15 previously unreleased songs, REGENERATE is crafted by producer Neil Marcus who says, “I’ve been overwhelmed by the generosity and passion of composers and lyricists who offer work to support the next generation of songwriting talent. We are now reaching out to an incredible group of artists and musicians who will bring these songs to the world. We’ll be announcing the lineup and more songs featuring new breakthrough writers soon.
Unsung songs and world premieres of the evening include:
* The Oscar winner’s world premiere Don Black and Debbie Wiseman OBE’s It’s Still Me In Here from their brand new musical Feather Boy sung by Anita Dobson. Don Black is one of the UK’s most prolific songwriters (from musicals Billy, Aspects of Love to Sunset Boulevard, and songs such as Diamonds Are Forever, Born Free and michael jackson‘s Ben.) Don works with composer Debbie Wiseman whose extraordinarily beautiful music has been the soundtrack to many films including: Wilde, Tom’s Midnight Garden and TV series including Joanna Lumley‘s Nile and Wolf Hall. Wiseman was the official composer and music director for the Platinum Jubilee celebration in Windsor in May.
* Toby Marlow & Lucy Moss still abuzz after their Tony Award success for their hit musical Six, which is currently playing to packed houses in both the West End and on Broadway, will deliver a never-before-heard song!
* Stephane Schwartz (Wicked/Pippin/Godspell) offers Leaving Myself Behind from a new project called Marley. He will accompany his good friend, the Broadway actor Michael McCorry Roseat the piano.
* The multi-award winning actor with the Olivier Prize Douglas Hodgewhose new musical 101 Dalmatians is currently playing at the Open Air Theater Regent’s Park, will perform his song Counting The Hairs from his musical Wigmaker.
* Rising Star Desmonde Cathabel (Winner: Stephen Sondheim Society Student Performer Of The Year) will sing a song by Claude Michel-Schönberg & Alain Boublil cut from Miss Saigon during the development process.
* Another brand new musical song from Maury Yeston (Nine/Titanic) who will provide a song from his current new songwriting project The Great Bridge, about the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge.
* Madame Me by george stiles + Anthony Drew will have its world premiere performed by Michael Ahomka-Lindsay. Their new musical Identical opens this summer (directed by Trevor Nunn) and Mary Poppins plays in the West End. Their delicious Honk! won the 2000 Olivier for Best Musical – beating both The Lion King and Mamma Mia!
* Emerging songwriting talent Omar Baroud who is currently mentored by Stiles & Drewe on the MMD program, will sing a song from his new musical After Elijah. Omar currently plays Cliff in the West End production of Cabaret.
* There will also be new work by Masi Arare (Paradise Square, currently playing on Broadway), the Canadian husband and wife team Irene Sankoff and David Hein (Come From Away) and composer/lyricist Adam Guettel (The Light in the Piazza / Floyd Collins).
* Last but not least Tim Rice and Elton John will deliver a song that will be created overnight.
More songs and who will sing them will be announced soon!
REGENERATE – a glorious evening of musical theatre. Producer is Neil Marcus, Music Director is Nick Barstow and Studio Producer is Bartek Podkowa.
Join the REGENERATE: Lost Songs from the Musicals Livestream Online Gala Musical Theater Fundraising Concert for free on Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 7:00 p.m. GMT (7:00 p.m.) at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ705NK7j5A.